Project: October Books, Southampton
Client: Society of St James
Architect: Studio BAD Architects
Duration: 28 weeks
The project comprised of the change of use, refurbishment and conversion of the former NatWest bank at 189 Portswood High Street to form a community service within a bookstore and new 9 studio flats above.
- New commercial use on the ground floor with significant updates.
- First floor converted into studio shelters for the Society of St James.
- Improved EPC rated building.
- New roof and windows for heat loss.
- Significant party wall details and acoustical improvement.
The main challenge was delivering to the tight programme whereby the nature of refurbishment meant that there was a lot of unexpected discoverable, whilst keeping to the original tight funding budget – which we managed to still stick to by value engineering and changing specifications where we were able to. There was a great community link as the move was undertaken by a chain link of customers who helped move the books into the shop.